- Test the spirit — make sure the word is from The Spirit of God. Some people prophesy from their flesh, soul, or from the spirit of divination.
1 John 4:1 “Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.”
- Determine if the word is for you.
Ask The Lord and discern if this in particular word applies to you.
- Believe God.
2 Chronicles 20:20 So they rose early in the morning and went out into the Wilderness of Tekoa; and as they went out, Jehoshaphat stood and said, “Hear me, O Judah and you inhabitants of Jerusalem: Believe in the Lord your’ God, and you shall be established; believe His prophets, and you shall prosper.”
- Know that prophesy and prophetic words are the heart of God. Some prophesies are conditional (dependent on what you do), while others are unconditional (they are sure words and will certainly come to pass -regardless).
For example: Ephesians 6:2 says “Honor your father and mother”–which is the first commandment with a promise–so that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth. This is an example of a conditional promises. If you do this….God will do that. While Isaiah 7:14 is an example of an unconditional, Jesus was prophesied to be born of a virgin and to be called Immanuel. Which was fulfilled and could not have been stopped.
- Pray into the word. Every word from The Lord is an invitation to pray.
Dialogue with The Lord concerning the word. Ask Him questions…where am I regarding this word? What do I need to do to bring this word to fruition? When will this Word come to pass? What do I need to do now regarding the word? What is Your purpose behind the word? What is Your heart towards it? Receive instruction regarding the word of The Lord.
- Follow the instructions attached to the word.
Every prophetic word has instructions, whether it is an unconditional or conditional word, there will be instructions to follow.
- Hold on to the word of The Lord and The promises of God until they come to pass -despite time, trouble and persecution that comes along with receiving prophetic words. Be full of the word of God so that you remain rooted in the prophetic word and do not allow cares of life, deceitfulness of riches or your own desires to choke out the word you have received in your heart. Accept the word of The Lord by following steps 1 -6 and see the fruition of the word of the Lord come to pass in your life in due time. Mark 4:1-20.
Don’t idolize the word or fret over the word but keep a steady, quiet confidence in the word of God.
Keep your faith and belief in The Word.