1. Enter into His gates with praise. (Psalm 100:4)
2. Confess your sins and ask for forgiveness. (Psalm 24:3-6)
3. Present your request to God. Talk with Him. (Philippians 4:6-7)
4. Surrender your will, shift and focus on the beauty, character and nature of God. This is a great time to read The Holy Bible. Mediate on The Word of God and Worship God for who He is. Emotions may arise at this time. (Jeremiah 29:11)
*If you have a prayer language, pray in The Spirit, and pray The perfect will of God.
5. After you seek The Lord through prayer and through the reading and meditation of His Word, (the time varies, some days He may lead you to seek Him for 10-15 minutes while on other days He may lead you to seek Him for hours) and as you dwell with Him, The Lord will usher you into His presence and begin to speak with you. He may speak through an unction, a knowing, still small voice, clear thoughts, mental pictures, visions or The Word of God. (Psalm 27:4)
The Lord will oftentimes share His heart for you, His plans for you, answer questions that you had while you were seeking Him, reveal secrets and mysteries along with areas and people you may need to intercede for. Regardless of what The Lord says, and how He speaks, what The Lord shares will always align with The Word of God. (Hence why it is so important to know the Word).
As The Lord speaks, record all that He reveals. Even if you are uncertain, unsure, or shocked in what He shares. Always ask for conformation when you need it (and let peace be your umpire). The Lord will confirm what He has said through The Word of God, other people or various occurrences throughout the day(s).
Recording what The Lord reveals and noting confirmation will help you grow in your confidence of The Lord’s voice and how He speaks to you.
The Lord loves speaking with you. So don’t abort your time of prayer prematurely. Give God time to respond to your request and reveal what is on His heart. Allot a generous amount of time to spend with your Father in prayer and know that He will respond to you.
Enjoy your time with Him and may you hear (and do) all that He shares with you. (James 1:22)
He is ready to speak.
P.S: While you are seeking The Lord and dwelling in His presence, make sure that you are meditating according to scripture. When persons meditate without the Word of God, they slip into middle eastern meditation, clearing their minds and welcoming unknown – demonic spirits. The Word of God is necessary in hearing from The Lord.
Also, please remember that this is a guide in how to hear from The Lord. Always follow the leading of The Holy Spirit and stay in tune with God. He may desire for you to start prayer by praying in The Spirit or by starting with confession. Simply follow His lead. If you would like to read a more in depth explanation of how to enter into the presence of God and hear from Him : according to The Tabernacle of Moses: click here.